DRUG ADDICTION



I used to get afraid as a child whenever I saw anything about drugs or drug addiction. I was terrified of drug addicts because of how they behaved and how filthy they were. Things gradually became clearer as I read more about them and saw them on television, and I was less afraid of them...

As a child, I vividly recall how ecstasy and drug addiction were presented in Hindi films. Even today, the shattering of an apple or the bite of a scorpion on the tip of the tongue remains frightening. Later, when I began walking to school with my companions, we noticed unclean men sitting on their haunches, burning small pieces of paper and inhaling the smoke.

I afterward saw men inserting a syringe into a nerve in their hand. "So much pain, and what are they getting in return?" I'd think. All of this seemed weird for a mind as young as nine years old. When I was on my way to tuition with my elder sister one day, I noticed someone on the pavement engrossed in their bliss and summoned the confidence to ask my sister about it. She was initially uninterested, but eventually responded,

"When we get home."

I couldn't persuade her any further. I was growing impatient with my classes and couldn't concentrate. After an hour and a half, we arrived home. I approached her and stood next to her, fidgeting with my outfit. My sister emphasized to me that what they were doing was extremely dangerous and that I was too little to comprehend or understand what was going on. She told me not to talk to them, look at them, or take anything they offered.

Her voice rang in my head after our little conversation. I recall her first sentence:

"They were using drugs."

The word "drugs" kept popping into my head. What exactly was this drug? They felt like needles penetrating their skin.

 

What I didn't realize was how much fun they were having! I finally understand what the joy was all about. It was a joy that was ruining not only them but also their family, friends, and everybody who loved them. Today, I understand how it must have started.

To begin with, they must have been in poor company—friends who could not be trusted. They should not be trusted with their life. Everyone's life has ups and downs. Whatever the situation, we must remain strong; no weak thoughts should enter our brains, especially if our friends are not good company. This devil may enter our life during a period of depression or a conflict with a family member. It all starts with giving it a go. "Try it out and see if you like it." It will transport you to the sixth heaven."

It gradually gains control of your thoughts, and the worst part is when it begins to bother you with physical discomfort. Drug addiction has entered your life and will remain if you are not resolute and brave enough to resist it. After all the pleasure it has provided you, the moment has come to repay it. A small amount, of drugs no longer provides the same level of pleasure as it once did. You must gradually raise your dose. If you're lucky, you won't die from an overdose. Friends who used to give you these pills for free are suddenly asking you twice as much for a modest amount. Your change vanishes into thin air. You start stealing money from your house. To meet your demands, you steal from the household. And this suffering never comes to an end.

Leaving your family and loved ones to weep and lament your death. Life is valuable. There is no room for experimentation with such lethal medications. Why do we require a substance to get high? Our satisfaction with loved ones, time spent with them, work, studies, and career accomplishments should all take us to new heights. Our enthusiasm for our interests and our life goals might lead us to happiness and excitement. Life isn't all about thrills and excitement. We must sometimes take our tasks seriously. Take our life seriously and do what is right and just.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Does anyone know the theory of half glass full

MYSELF...!!!

As the youngest kid, I was never given any responsibility for the family. I spent my free time playing, learning, and reading books, m...